Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Mother's Day Dive

I never thought I'd see the day when Kelli would want to go diving over anything else, but it's finally happened. So when I told her about a boat dive to Bonzai & Spotlight on Mother's Day, and that there was a good possibility we'd see dolphins, she said to sign us up. But sometimes mother nature throws you a curve, this time it was in the form of a typhoon off to our west a bit. That meant that we were getting pounded by big waves on the west side of the island, and the boat dive got cancelled. We were both disappointed for a few minutes, until we saw the waves that is, then we were both very thankful we weren't going to be on a boat in them. But when diving is bad on one side of the island, it's generally good on the other side, so we decided to just go to Lau Lau. But since it was Mother's Day, Kelli decided to tell Sarah & Chris she wanted them to go with us diving. Chris was all for it, but you could tell it wasn't Sarah's first choice. She did finally consent to go though, and I think she even enjoyed herself. In the picture above you see her heading into the fish ball at Lau Lau.Here you see Sarah and Chris surrounded by fish. The fish ball seemed to have everybody's attention so we just hung out there for a while and became part of the fish for a while. There is something very cool about being in the middle of thousands of fish swirling in a ball when they just let you become a part of them.

Here you see Kelli and Sarah, mother & daughter enjoying a fishy Mother's Day. I have people ask me all the time, aren't you scared down there, aren't you worried about things that might get you? The answer is no and no. It is so peaceful underwater, it is truly like escaping to another existance. I'm always looking for new things, something I haven't seen before. I never get tired of it and I never get bored.And here you see Chris & Sarah with the fish ball just barely visible in the background. They are evidently doing some kind of underwater communication. I have to admit, my underwater communication skills aren't the best, especially when I'm on the receiving end. It was certainly one of the more memorable Mother's Days I can ever remember, and I think everybody had a great time underwater. I'll share some of the other sights from the dive on tomorrows blog.

3 comments:

Bruce A. Bateman said...

I dove with Brad and Jeff and another fellow who's name I forget now (nice guy - sorry) at Lau Lau. My first dive there in some time. The walk across the reef to get into the water wasn't as bad as I remembered. The visibility was pretty bad until we got past the bait balll, then it got a bit better. We saw a good number of sizable nudis, I got a good look at a resident scorpionfish, and exploring the mini caves and swim thrus was a lot of fun.

Sadly, my wife Olive, does not share Kelli's aquatic enthusiasm. She didn't go along so we missed the Mother part of Mothers Day afternoon. Oh well, maybe by next year she will be certified (or maybe I will). (:-))

Neutral Dive Gear said...

Haha, you've got to see this video.

Great pics, btw!!

Enjoy!!

><)))'>

_ndg

Noemi said...

Oh wow that is beautiful!