Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Mysteries at Lau Lau

Every so often I like to get off the beaten path underwater and just go exploring. I took Kelli and Barry Wonenberg with me last Sunday and we went to Lau Lau. After about an hour when they had both used up their tanks, I took them back to the rope and then I headed out for the rest of my dive. I went through the coral heads in the shallows until I got to the pipeline, then I kept going south from the pipeline until I had the white sand. This was the first mystery I ran across over there. It is obviously manmade, a bunch of rocks all piled together with various pieces of pipe and wood stuck in them to stand up. Was this a monument for some divers who had died here? Does it mark something of historical significance? Or was somebody just bored one day and decided to leave their mark? I have no clue, but I'd like to know the story behind it if anybody can enlighten me.Then these piles were the second mystery, there were several of them scattered all over the white sandy area. If I was back in Michigan and we were in a field, I would say it was a "cow patty", you know a pile of cow poop. I thought it was very strange the way it was intricately layered. I sifted through one of the piles seeing if there was something inside of it that might have been responsible for it, but there was nothing there. I even dug down a ways, but didn't find anything down there either. So what are these piles? Are they UFO excrement? After all, I've heard many theories about how UFO bases are supposed to be underwater. Just one more of the many little mysteries down there, at least it's a mystery to me. So if you can help me in my education, I'd be most appreciative.

7 comments:

scubatripp said...

Hey Harry that's a good photo of the rock pile.
Dennis made a post about it on the Marianas Dive forum around New Years day - part of his post....

We did come across something we hadn't seen before. Does anyone have any information or explanation for the "artificial reef" that has been built there? It was a pile of rocks roughly 6 ft. x 12 ft. and maybe 3ft. high in a clear area of sand a good distance from the reef. These are rocks that are at least 1 ft. in diameter and obviously piled neatly there with a couple short logs thrown in for good measure.

http://www.marianasdive.com/index.php?option=com_fireboard&Itemid=45&func=view&catid=27&id=1253

Unfortunately no one has come up with the answer. It's quite a pile and would have taken some time to do - perhaps the Japanese shops have an idea.

On a clear day the white sandy bottom out that way is pretty cool too!

Tamara said...

Interesting...I have no clue what that is..my first thinking was maybe some sort of contraption to help hold a net in place for fishing or something?? When I was a kid a remember seeing sticks sticking out of the water at some of the beaches in San Antonio that were put there to hold fishing nets..but I'm not sure where that is located and it seems quite huge..hrmmmm...

As for the pile of sand layers, that looks like sea cucumber poop..only a zillion times bigger...Do let us know if you find out what it is.

Bob Abela said...

Hey Harry...as for your small mystery...worm poop, seriously. The burrowing worms leave these piles behind.

Harry Blalock said...

Thanks for the info Bob, so much for my UFO excrement theory, I hope the Lemurians aren't too disappointed. Now I'm wondering just how big those worms are, those are monstrous piles of worm poop. Or maybe the Lemurians have just evolved into burrowing worms. Hey wait, they're sounding more and more like our politicians all the time.

the un cheesy Bree said...

the moon snail on puget sound, mixes sand with its eggs and forms structures that look like clay pots on the sea bottom. maybe the cow pies have eggs in them.

Dennis said...

Harry, we were out by the "mystery pile" again yesterday, and it is obviously growing from when we first noticed it a few months ago.

Maybe someone over at NMDOA knows something of it. This certainly was not done with a small effort!

Brad said...

Hey Harry! Finally made it back to the blogosphere. I saw this pile several weeks ago when I was diving with Travis. I was wondering then what it was. It'd be nice if you find out and can educate us all.

Good luck!