Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Looking Out From Under the Coral

If you ever see my truck at a dive site and jump in the water hoping to find me, there is a trick to it. You need to look for the bubbles coming up from under the coral, then keep looking until you find a little hole or opening to swim into. The little cave or tunnel will most likely be dark, so you might want to have a flashlight along, but you just want to keep following it until you find me. I love exploring new places and scooping the sand out of tunnels and holes to make swimthroughs where there were none before. Lau Lau now has an elaborate maze of little swimthroughs and tunnels that you can go through that didn't used to be there.Not only do I enjoy crawling through tight little spots like this just to see if I can make it through, but I always enjoy the view, looking at the blue ocean and the sunlight shining through the holes in the coral and the rocks.
And I always love the looks on other divers faces when I come popping out of one of these holes, they look like they are wondering what the heck I was doing in there, and how did I actually manage to fit? Like I said, some of these little caves can be pretty dark inside, especially if you have to go very far before getting to the exit. There are some of them that are as long as 50', that's quite a ways to be wiggling on your belly trying to get your tank positioned just right so that it will fit. The caves are an excellent place to look for things like these guys. The red lionfish seem to like dark little caves and holes to hide out in. That's one of the reasons it's always a good idea to have a flashlight if you're going to go wandering through one of the really dark ones, you just never know what may be laying on the sand where you want to put your hand. And yes, I did learn that lesson the hard way, and yes, it's very painful! I just thought this shot looked very cool. This is the washing machine in the Grotto when it is extremely calm. I'm just below the surface so you can see the underside of the surface of the water and the sun shining through on the shallow rocks. It's truly magical down there, and I'm thankful I've had the opportunity to share it with so many people over the years.

1 comment:

TwoTank said...

WOW!!! These pics are AMAZING! Did you have to get a special certification for caves, or are you just brave?

Hugs and Fishes,
Kari
twotank.blogspot.com