Wednesday, February 13, 2008

To the untrained eye, this may appear to be my old dive camera, but it just looks like it. Actually I ordered the new Canon SD950 IS camera, which is 12.1 Megapixels and the new Canon WP-DC19 underwater housing to go along with it. I had looked into getting a housing for the new Canon Rebel XTi that I bought recently, but to get it outfitted properly for what I wanted to do underwater would have set me back an additional $7,000. That made the purchase price of this new Canon compact pretty easy to swallow at a mere $500 for the camera and housing. I may still wind up buying external strobes for this camera, but it will definitely be a fraction of the cost I was looking at.
I really like the fact that this new model has a Titanium case, which hopefully means it will hold up well under the abuse that my cameras have a tendency to have to put up with. This also means that I'll be taking some pretty cool macro shots once again underwater. The light diffuser broke on my old camera housing, which meant that I couldn't take close up shots with the flash, so the color was never quite right. And the most exciting part of all this is that it got here just in time for my trip to Bali. Kelli and I are going to be doing some diving down there, and of course taking plenty of pictures. I'll also have my Rebel XTi and will fill both 4 Gig memory cards up before returning. Yup, I'm as excited as any kid on Christmas, and can't wait to get this new camera underwater. I do realize that there are those like a certain friend of mine which will hate me because of my new camera purchase and because of the fact that I'm going to Bali on vacation. All I can say is, I hope you enjoy the pictures when I get back!

No comments: