Saturday, August 4, 2007

It's Over!!!

It's time to celebrate for all those of you who are fans of Harry's World, you have made my blog Saipan's Best Blog! Angelo would be quick to point out that doesn't necessarily mean I have the most popular blog since he still gets more hits a day than I do. That's ok I can live with that distinction. Knowing that over 40% of the respondants in the poll voted for me let me know that I'm on the right track. You are obviously enjoying the dive pictures and stories, and the fact that I talk about my animals and the cat door occasionally hasn't scared too many of you off. I can't thank all of you enough, and I find your votes a real inspiration. I have to admit, I did have a lot of fun with the contest, especially putting Angelo's head through the cat door. But something tells me there will be plenty of other opportunities to have fun at Angelo's expense. I'm blown away by all the places I got votes from and just hope you continue to read and enjoy Harry's World!

I still have a lot to learn about blogging, and I admit I don't know most of the fancy tricks that Angelo or Jeff use, but in time I'm sure I'll either convince them to tell me how to do it, or I'll manage to figure them out on my own. For example, I can't show you the final results of the poll with the voting map on my blog, but I can send you here and you'll be able to see it. Minor inconvenience.

I think that blogging is not just something you can have a lot of fun with, but I believe it is also a very powerful tool for getting information out to people you never would have reached any other way. That has me very excited for the possibilities of using this free technology to help promote the CNMI to the rest of the world, and to build a one stop information portal for everything you ever wanted to know about Saipan, Tinian or Rota. This is no small undertaking, and frankly it's way too big for only a couple laid back dive bums like Mike Tripp and I to tackle on our own. But I believe there are enough others out there who believe in the potential of this, or who want to get started that we are going to make a huge difference and impact, and I believe you will start seeing tangible results from it inside a year.

I have already seen results in my less than 2 months of blogging. I am having my pictures published in 2 books on nudibranchs now, I have had 2 people contact me about diving on Saipan after reading my blog, and I am going to have some pictures and a little story about diving in Saipan published in the August 12th edition of Stars & Stripes newspaper, the military newspaper. Now I managed to accomplish all that without even trying, it was never my intent to do any of that. Can you imagine what we can do if we all come together, share our ideas, thoughts and dreams and work on this project together? We will become the real marketing force for our islands and we will present them as we see them.

I've already been contacted by someone who read my first blog entry about this concept, and he wants to start a blog as well to talk about his passion of diving here in Saipan, so I'm meeting him before our meeting next Wednesday to help him set up a blog and get started. Are you ready to make your contribution and be a part of this exciting development? If you are, I invite you to join us at Oleai Beach Bar & Grill Wednesday, August 8th at 6:30 pm as there are a few of us who believe it's time to take matters into our own hands and come up with a marketing strategy for Saipan that hasn't ever been tried yet. I've already been contacted by about a dozen people who are excited about what this could mean for our islands and who plan on being there. If you have any thoughts or ideas at all, I encourage you to come share them. If you just want to sit and listen and see what it's all about, that's fine too. Angelo will be there, and we'll even let him have a chair, he won't have to just stick his head through a cat door!

2 comments:

EJ said...

that picture is too funny. I was teasing you that no one cares about cats and the cat hole. Now I care about it since Angelo goes in and out of the house through that hole you've made.

dankalia said...

woow really it is anice and woderfull island i like it.If u have hear about redsea in east africa some like this island is there and it verey beutiful island known as Dahlak island
http://www.eritreadivers.com/aktuell_e/aktuell.html