Monday, July 23, 2007

The Whole Truth & Nothing But the Truth

No these aren't two sea otters surfacing for air in Santa Cruz, it's Greg & Bev in the Grotto. We had just started checking out the frisky nudibranchs at the bottom of #2 hole when Bev started getting a bout of vertigo. If you have never experienced this underwater, you have no idea just how traumatizing and scary it can be. It feels like you're on a carousel at the fair going about 100 mph. Everything spins around and around out of control, and after a little bit of it, you feel like you need to part ways with your lunch. As someone who has to deal with vertigo underwater on a regular basis because of damage I have done to my inner ears, I can totally sympathize and understand. The thing that so impressed me about Bev was that she managed to keep her cool, signal to Greg that she was having a problem and wanted to surface. I was busy being a peeping Harry on the frisky nudibranch. But then I looked back and saw them both heading for the surface, so I followed to find out what was up. Bev let Greg take her slowly and safely to the surface, where we found out what was going on.

Now of course the first thing going through Bev's mind was, oh great, Harry's here and I'm going to have to read all about this in his blog now. Truthfully though, I wouldn't have mentioned it if she hadn't already talked about it in her blog. I have seen many divers get themselves and their dive buddy into trouble because they panic in situations like that. Bev didn't panic, but held it together in spite of the fact that her world was spinning out of control. Even though she was thinking we'd be all freaked out thinking that she was too much drama in the water, I had just the opposite reaction, I was totally impressed with her. To me, her reaction was the mark of a good diver, and the kind of diver I enjoy having along. And I'm not just saying all this because she keeps referring to me as Saipan's sexiest blogger. Frankly, that makes me question whether she needs glasses or a white cane. I really didn't know Bev at all before yesterday, but I can totally see why her nickname is Bubbles, she truly is a riot to be around.

So no worries Bev, I wasn't freaked out, I was impressed. Now as for your photography skills, well that might have to be the fodder for another blog. I did have a couple more awesome dives Sunday, and got some very cool pictures as well. So depending on how my day goes, there may be another entry before the day is over.

2 comments:

Bev said...

lol i'll surprise you next time and find something you've never seen before!!!

Bev said...

lol i'll surprise you next time and find something you've never seen before!!!