Tuesday, July 17, 2007

To Blog or Not To Blog

I had a bunch of cool pictures from the big fish ball that I was going to post on my blog today, but now I don't really want to put them up. It seems I've unintentionally stirred up a hornets nest from my post about the Tritan Trumpet shells and the hermit crabs. That was never my intention, I thought they were cool pictures that someone else might enjoy. But then I was attacked in another blog because I evicted the crabs from the shells. Unlike other certain bloggers, I really don't care about how many hits a day I get, I'm not trying to drive advertising dollars or attract anything like that. Sure, I put a thing for AdSense on my site to see if it did anything, but I never expected it to, and frankly didn't really care if it did or not. I also don't use my blog as anything controversial to get hits, I don't put links to naked celebrities as a means to try and drive up my own viewer numbers. That just doesn't matter to me.

I started my blog as a way for anyone that might know me, and who might have been interested to keep up with me and see what I've been up to and to read my thoughts and observations on things. I also thought some people might enjoy seeing underwater pictures of things they would never have a chance to see in real life, and they may not see pictures like this anywhere else if they didn't look specifically for them. I am not who most people think I am. They have a preconceived idea of who I am and what I'm like from my radio presence. I do have some definite thoughts and opinions about things, but if you think you know me from the radio, you're mistaken.

I did my blog as a release, a way for me to share some of the things I enjoy and to get away from some of the controversies and arguments I seem to be embroiled in during my day job. It was fun, I enjoyed posting the dive pics, getting feedback from people I'd never met who loved seeing the ocean through my camera lense. Today, my blog has ceased being fun for me, and has turned into something controversial. Believe it or not but I really don't need anymore controversy in my life. And if I no longer enjoy the blog, or have to worry every time I say anything or post a picture that someone is going to object and blast me for it, then why bother?

As I was about to post the pictures of the fish ball at Lau Lau, I started wondering if I'd be criticized for being in the middle of the fish ball. Even though the fish came toward me and surrounded me, did I somehow throw off the natural balance of things? Did I traumatize the fish by taking too many pictures? Did the flash from the camera cause any kind of vision impediment to the fish, either short term or long term? I know this may sound ridiculous, but to me it's no more ridiculous than the controversy that came out of my previous post. And if I have to worry and wonder every time I post anything or say anything, then I'm better off not bothering in the first place.

So there will be no dive pics today, or possibly any other day for that matter, I'm still thinking about it. I'm also seriously considering making my smugmug dive picture gallery private as well just to avoid any further controversy. It's a sad day for me, I had really enjoyed blogging up to this point.

12 comments:

The Saipan Blogger アンジェロ・ビラゴメズ said...

Blog

Jeffrey C. Turbitt said...

You've offered a great deal. You may very well have saved a life you don't even know with your post on your dive at wing. I hope this is not the end. Don't let some ding dongs buzzkill this blog. I think the good days will outnumber the bad.

bradinthesand said...

keep writing harry. you of all people oughta know that when you put yourself inthe public eye that things like this happen. i know that wasn't your intention, but the internet is world wide. it's your choice, but into every life a little rain must fall. i don't think of you as a quitter either. just stick with your guns and ride.

BoReGo said...

I agree Harry, keep writing. We open ourselves up and take what comes. Being vulnerable is sort of refreshing if you really think about it. The blogosphere is open forum for praise and criticism but it shouldn't change who we are and what we love. I like seeing and reading your blog, especially because I don't do what you do. We each have something to contribute.

BoReGo said...

Some blogs out there actually put watermarks on their pictures so they can't be stolen or if they are, they have your imprint all over them. I think it's Xiaxu (check Angelo's blog for her site).

Shazam said...

My favorite moments diving are of the fish ball off LauLau and the Garden eels off Objan (sp?). I didn't have a camera and would love to see both on this blog. As a mom of 3 I've had to give up diving for a while. I can keep an eye on them from the field but not from underwater. I relive my great dives vicariously through your blog and dream about getting back in the water one day. I know that isn't your intention but I'll be sad to see it go. I do hope you post the pictures.

Jeffrey C. Turbitt said...

I know and like both parties, and know both have done great things for the community and the environment and I really hope they can past this. The island's too small, and both of you too good of people for any hostilities.

bigsoxfan said...

I've found your blogs to be informative, fun, and full of great underwater shots. If nothing else, I learned some useful safety tips and I'm not going to be in a hurry to dive alone by myself after reading that particular post.
I'm sorry you ran afoul of political correctness, my worst sin to date has been calling a porpoise a fish. Sometimes, you get called on stuff on the net and I hope you can find enough reasons to continue posting.

Bruce A. Bateman said...

Forget the 'controversy', Harry. Your blog is good, the pics are marvelous. Many love it....probably including Bree....but forget all that too. Do it because it IS a release and a lot of fun to do. Besides I WANT TO SEE THE FISH BALL !! (:-))
BB

Deece said...

I know it's not a democracy and our votes won't decide. But keep blogging, Harry.

Bev said...

I hope you still blog Harry. I really enjoy your funny stories and your awesome pics. I see diving in a new light with your posts. I hope you will reconsider.

Jeff said...

Take a break if you must, but if you quit completely, I'm getting a megaphone, I'm going outside your radio station, and I'm getting my four year old to sing ABCs until you give in and have more posts than Angelo.